It all happened during my visit to London last month.
I was at Planet of Apps Europe Conference and luckily was sitting next to BBC Technology Correspondent who was hosting the event for the day. He had 2 devices & no price for guessing – Apple iPad and Samsung recently launched Galaxy Tablet.
We started the conversation and when I asked him “What are your thoughts on Samsung Tablet” he took both the device next to each other and started comparing.
To summarize my observation:
Browser experience, typing experience & video rendering on iPad was far more better then the Samsung tablet. On that sadly Samsung Tab is overly priced and the touch pad is not very responding.
Then my dear boss handed over his iPad asking me to play around with it….that was actually the beginning.
I was falling for iPad as I started :
- Playing games
- Watching youtube videos
- Checking and replying to mails
- Updating my Facebook status
- and tweeting from the iPad twitter app
- Making notes
- Reading an iBook
When I was back to my hotel, I was actually missing something and was hating to work on my laptop, asking myself a question “Have I got used to iPad ?”
The question here is “Did iPad got sold here or its me which got totally sold out for iPad”
As I was back to India….
Mom said- “U were supposed to buy an android phone, has the size of the phone increased these days?”
Sister said- “How could you buy a mac product?”
Dad said- “Why a gadget, why not branded watch, cloths, shoes & diamonds?”
Friends said – “U are an Android betrayer”
But my 6 yrs old niece simply loves playing with iPad and I am happy to see a smile on here face.
I am still passionate about android, but the fact is if a gadget can bring in smile on a face…its any time worth-it.
A good friend Soham Mondal made a productive use of the iPad and here are his thoughts on the iPad (1.0) after a week or two of using the iPad
- The web-surfing experience. Apart from the lack of flash, the surfing experience on the iPad is unparalleled to any other device. The zippy touch + screen size experience is much better than that on any desktop or laptop and the galaxy tab doesn't even come close!
- Videos/Youtube. If you like watching music videos or youtube vlogs/flicks, there is nothing like the iPad, you can now watch videos while you lie down on the bed or while you wait for your cab to reach the office car or anywhere the go, it looks great and feels very convenient to use
- Apps. Some apps look and feel downright amazing on the iPad, games n newsreaders feel right at home here!
- Battery life. 7+ hours while watching videos and surfing the net over wifi is no small achievement
- Form factor, screen size. Apart from the weight, everything feels just right! It is sleek and very portable.
- You can pair your apple bluetooth keyboard to the iPad to have a mobile workstation on the go, this is a really practical and powerful solution for mobile-workers!
- It is a tad too heavy! Yup, you won't notice this when you first hold it, but if you plan to read books or watch videos while you hold it, it really weighs down on you. This is easily the biggest flaw of iPad 1.0 and I'm sure apple will work on a lighter frame for the next version of the iPad!
- Speakers. One (mono) speaker just doesn't cut it these days. On top of that, the speakers are dry and weak and just do not do justice to the videos played on this device.
- Apps. Apart from the handful of good free apps, most apps are either outrageously priced(some even free on the iPhone) or just not present. Either way, you can't really complain considering that the iPad has just been around for less than a year.
- Youtube! Unless you jailbreak the iPad, the youtube player defaults to the highest resolution for videos. In other words for some videos it will default to 720p or 1080p and you have no way to reduce that and u can expect videos to buffer forever for most contemporary channels over 2/4 mbps connections.
- Lack of camera(s), this doesn't really matter to me but many people might object to the lack of a front facing camera for video conferencing!
- Lack of a back button. You would be surprised that I would complain about this but after using an android device for the past few months you cannot live without a back button. It is so practical and jumping back to the home screen or using the software back approach is not practical most of the times!
All in all, it is a great device, you wouldn't really think you'd need one until you actually get one. It is great for watching videos and surfing the web and I've actually started using my laptop less after getting this. However, I would definitely want it to be lighter and with a better speaker, if that's the case I would definitely not mind going in for the iPad 2.0 wifi + 3g version!
Final confession: I enjoy all the attention that I get when I carry along with me my iPad.